Thursday, August 14, 2008

Magazines / Rogue July 2008

Rogue July 2008
(Click the pictures to supersize :-D)
__

Oh, Rogue, why did I just get you now? Why did I have to miss the last 10 or so issues before finally deciding that a month would not be complete without Rogue in my desk/backpack? My first Rogue was the one with Jasmine M. on the cover. It was not bad I thought but at P180 I was not yet ready. But month after month of seeing the fantastic covers...and missing them..I finally bit the bullet last month and got it. Their look at the past 12 month/issues had me thinking and saying to myself how silly I was why I got it just now. And oh, another excuse reason why I did not get it earlier is that the articles inside seem intimidating. The big names..journalists..etc..I thought it might be too something..hehe Not! If it was cofee, it's not too sweet but or not too strong; just the right blend. And you want more after—just like coffee! hehe

Rogue July 2008
The photos* are superb..and so are the articles*. For a person with the attention span of a goldfish like me, it has to be good to have made me read most of the stuff. The Seek Ye Whore* story is really good..but strange! It's about mail order brides from Siquijor, Philippines (Seek-Ye-Whore/Siquijor, get it?) and how they will make the lives of their husbands wither miserable or heavenly, depending on how you look at it. It's a good, if not so strange a read.

Rogue July 2008
Am I right or am I not wrong if I said this is the best Anne Curtis feature? Plus the clothes they used..Balenciaga...Vanessa Bruno...Acne....!!

Rogue July 2008
A look on the past issues. I feel really bad missing that controversial Joey Mead issue. I think it's ok body painting the flag on her body. Yes, it was a little provocative but, come on. It's better than being a crappy citizen of this country. Do you know by heart our national anthem? Do you know all the meanings of the symbols on the flag? Do you stand at attention while the flag is being raised? Do you even know when is our national flag day?? Plus a lot of other questions worth asking ourselves. We have different ways of showing our nationalistic spirit and this was theirs. How about you, what do you think?

Rogue July 2008
I think a magazine is great and super if you felt you want to fast forward the days so that you can get the next issue. Have you experienced that??

Rogue July 2008
If there's one more thing I need/want to see in Rogue, It would be editorials on men's fashion/style. It would be interesting to see how they'll do it. They have style sections but it's just the clothes...and somehow it's sort of for the older 'mature' set. (Or maybe it's reserved for Vman Philippines/Filipino Vogue/Numero Filipino/L'officiel Filipino? ngek! I wish!!)

Hooray for Rogue! I think Rogue is the best local magazine today. Photos, articles, design and layout, the paper, printing...everything is superb, high quality and world class. It makes me feel proud that it's Made in the Philippines! Run don't walk to the nearest bookstore/stand and get Rogue because it's too good to skip and pass up.
__

*Ok, I forgot the magazine at home and I forgot who did this and that..so check back for the credits later.
**Sorry for the late posts...! The last few weeks and days have found me busy finishing plates, beating deadlines, or just sleeping (procrastinating). Plus I'm too cheap to pay half a thousand grand a month for Wifi in our dorm room. I'm only here 4-5 days a week..and besides..it would just be a another distraction hehe. But now that I got to think of it..it may not be a bad idea..)

Scans by Edrick

No comments:

Post a Comment